[Foundation-l] Upload wizard: The other licenses and the future of Creative Commons

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 14:53:50 UTC 2011

The Upload wizard distorts competition in favour of Creative Commons,
for the purpose of creating a monopoly (0).

Instead, it would be safer that for every file licensed under a
Creative Commons license, one licenses one other file under GFDL and
another file under "Art libre", "open

source music license", LGPL, etc.

One should not put all her eggs in the same basket(1), keeping open
the option to switch back to GFDL : one should keep a leverage to
pressure the Creative Commons

organization, at the very least to ensure that CC 4.0 won't be worse
than 3.0, and that 5.0 won't be worse than 4.0.

Instead of patching the holes in the CC-BY-SA, the Creative Commons
organization is supplying weapons to the ennemy.

CC Zero (2), perhaps named after Imperial Japan's fighter aircraft
(3), is a weapon of mass destruction against the attributive
share-alike community, putting the Creative

Commons organization on the side of those who want to reuse contents
without crediting the creators. As an open attack on moral rights,
that license is morally flawed.

Although they created the LGPL (more permissive, yet fully
attributive), the Free Software Foundation seems to present its
copyleft GPL license as its main license

representing their philosophy and what they fight for. On the other
hand, the Creative Commons organization has no philosophy and is
losing its soul.

If the Creative Commons guru decides that CC 4.0 is CC Zero, do we
have any legal tool to fight against it ? I am afraid we don't. This
would leave us nothing but our eyes

to cry with.

(0) http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/Multimedia:Upload_wizard/Questions_%26_Answers#Why_do_you_give_CC-by-sa_such_a_prominent.2Fdefault.2Frecommended_place.3F_Why_don.27t_you_use_a_step-by-step_license_chooser.3F
(1) I was objected some time ago that I use too many agricultural
metaphors. Sorry for this one again, but IANAEP : I am not an English
poet ;
(2) http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode
(3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A6M_Zero This one is not
an agricultural metaphor.