[Foundation-l] Friendliness: a radical proposal -- some proposed details and a diagram

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 26 21:54:58 UTC 2011

on 2/26/11 3:52 PM, David Goodman at dggenwp at gmail.com wrote:

> The actual work of helping new editors and monitoring quality does not
> require an admin, and most of the people doing it are not admins. The
> main thing I use admin tools for is to delete hopelessly unacceptable
> articles, but almost everything I delete has been spotted by a
> non-admin. However, most of what I do is not the use of admin tools,
> but explaining to the authors of these who have come in good faith
> what was wrong and how they can do better, & encouraging the
> potentially good ones to stay. Anyone who has sufficient learned or
> innate politeness & understanding can do that.

Yes!

> And anyone with politeness and understanding can pass rfa, if they
> care to, if they are willing to tolerate some stupid remarks. The
> ability to patiently tolerate stupidity is and ought to remain  one of
> the requirements for being an admin.

As it is with clinicians :-). I've been called things I had to look up!:-)
Yes, David, this is what I meant when I have said that a culture cannot be
mandated or legislated. It must happen one person at a time, each time we
communicate with another person. And the ability to interact with another
person in a civil manner should be a requirement for everyone working on the
Project. It then becomes the hallmark, the distinguishing feature of a
Wikipedian.

Marc Riddell