[Foundation-l] Friendliness (was: Missing Wikipedians: An Essay)

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Wed Feb 23 08:10:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:02:09 -0800, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>
wrote:
> 2011/2/22 Michel Vuijlsteke <wikipedia at zog.org>:
> This is where it starts. Thousands of our users have their first
> interactions with a bot or with a user leaving a template. We're
> unlikely to alter our practice to completely abandon bots and talk
> page templates (although we can improve our software to give more
> direct user feedback which makes bots and automated messages
> unnecessary, e.g. for something like missing categories), but while
> we're still using them, we really need to pay more attention to what
> they are saying.

I do not see why it would be impossible to abandon warning templates. I
actually only use the copyvio warning template, because it is technically
advanced, and it would be difficult to write all these issues without the
templete. For the rest, if I warn someone, I just write smth myself, it
does not take any longer time. Bots are a different issue altogether, I
agree.

Cheers
Yaroslav