[Foundation-l] Licenses' biodiversity : my big disagreement with the Wikimedia usability initiative's software specifications

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Tue Feb 22 11:02:05 UTC 2011

I don't get it.

Copyright is universal, so should copyright licenses be. There are numerous
exceptions to come up with, and we can discuss on this list into eternity
about those where Geni can come up with wonderful examples and Teofilo will
come up with reasons why they fall outside his scope. Doesnt the whole fact
that we have this discussion proof the point already and remove the
necessity of such?

The point is that GFDL has impracticalities to some people. Whether you also
have these impracticalities does not really matter, as long as some people
experience them as such, because it limits re-use.

The question is, should Wikimedia Commons favor one license over the other,
or even discourage the use of some subset of free licenses?

I think that offering a default license is great - it is a major
simplification of the upload process and increases the odds that someone
will make an upload. Because be honest: most authors don't care, they want
their content uploaded to Wikipedia. If that requires them to release some
rights they won't commercialize anyway, they are likely willing to do so. No
matter the conditions. If they would be required to make a silly dance
through walkthrough license schemes, they will just get frustrated and cut
off the process.

Of course we can have an advanced upload scheme where people like Teofilo
can pick all complicated licenses they like or even type their own personal
release which then can be judged by the community - but please don't bother
the regular uploader with that.

Best,

Lodewijk