[Foundation-l] Licenses' biodiversity : my big disagreement with the Wikimedia usability initiative's software specifications

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:24:29 UTC 2011

On 21 February 2011 13:14, Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> A video has been released by a creator who intends it for
> free-software-like distribution: do you think it is good to allow
> reusers to display this video on the internet with an embedded player
> without a download link ?

My understanding is that there is an extensive range of software
available that allows you to record streaming media.

> I personally think it is not good, and although I have never created a
> video myself, I guess that most creators would like to prevent this
> from happening.

I on the other hand have created videos. They can be found on
wikipedia. And while for text licence incompatibility is merely
annoying for video it's positively lethal.

Suppose a third party has created a video put it under your video
license (which I will call the teofile video license or TVL) and I
want to edit it.

Say I want to read some text from a wikipedia article over part of the
video. Can't because the licenses clash. CC-BY-SA is not compatible
with TVL.

Well okey I can't use wikipedia text but suppose I want to cut in some
images from flickr. Can't images are again CC-BY-SA and not compatible
with TVL.

Well okey but suppose I want to use some screenshots from the video as
part of a collage with stuff from commons. oh dear TVL isn't
compatible with any of the common licences on commons.

The clashes between the existing licences are bad enough we don't need any more.

> You may want to create a special clause for conventional TV (like
> requiring the TV speaker, or the opening credits or the closing
> credits to tell viewers that the video is otherwise available on the
> TV's website for download). This is why a new, yet to be written, Free
> Video License including this kind of clauses is needed.

Trying to create opt outs for single formats isn't going to work. I
can provide plently of closely related ones where it also breaks.
--
geni