[Foundation-l] An agenda for the meeting of the language committee

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 14:31:41 UTC 2011

How about this:

Over the past several years, new projects have been approved and
created improving our coverage of world languages. However, the vast
majority of this growth since the formation of Langcom has been in
European languages - a quick sampling reveals new Wikipedias in Rusyn
(Eastern Europe), Gagauz (Moldova and Ukraine), North Frisian (Germany
and Denmark) as well as Wikisource in Breton (France) and Venetian
(Italy), Wikiversity in Swedish and Wikibooks in Limburgish
(Netherlands, Belgium and Germany), although none of those are new
languages for WM projects. At first, there was an encouraging trend -
the first 4 Wikipedias created after the new language policy was in
place were in Kabyle (North Africa), Hakka (China and Chinese
diaspora), Bikol (Philippines) and normative Belarusian. However, this
trend seems to have changed so that now, since December of 2009, 9 new
Wikipedias have been created, but all but 1 were in European minority
languages (the exception was Banjar, of Indonesia and Malaysia).

So my question for discussion is, what, if anything, can be done to
encourage growth and improved linguistic coverage in other areas of
the world?