[Foundation-l] Licenses' biodiversity : my big disagreement with the Wikimedia usability initiative's software specifications

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 13:06:41 UTC 2011

2011/2/19 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 19 February 2011 10:41, Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maximising reusability is not the same as maximising usability.
>

> This is a nice-sounding phrase, but its meaning is entirely unclear.
>
> And maximising usability would mean rationalising the list of licenses
> anyway. Paralysis of choice is actually bad interface design.

Let us define usability as uploader-friendliness and reusability as
downloader-friendliness.

If you rationalise eggs requesting them to be in cubic shape, because
it fits best your transportation and space requirements, no hen will
want to lay eggs any longer.

If a grocer wants to maximize not apple reuse, but apple eating, he
will lower the prices. But in turn, apple growing farmers will stop
from being interested and will find another grocer who offers better
prices.

In our case, the "another grocer" might be Getty Image who is
currently being linked from a number of pages on Flickr. Getty Image
offers a better price than Wikimedia Commons, don't you think ?

See http://www.flickr.com/help/gettyimages/