[Foundation-l] Criticism of employees (was VPAT)

Zack Exley zexley at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 18 20:38:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> And it's worth pointing out the obvious -- the reason there are so
> many places is because it's nearly impossible to keep up with
> *everything* going on in the communit(ies)* all the time. Even a
> subset of that discussion can be too much for those of us trying to
> get other things done as well; most of the subscribees of the list
> probably skim it at least some of the time. And the vast majority of
> our community is not even on Foundation-l.... but a pretty large
> percentage (I'd guess) of those people who interested in governance,
> foundation and meta-issues probably are subscribed, which is just one
> of the reasons why it's worth trying to make it a useful forum -- a
> perennial hope and dream!

I'd just like to add my perspective as a relatively new staffer at WMF.
 People in the office really do read Foundation-l and all the other movement
lists. They are very much influenced by them and take them very seriously. A
couple of times, someone on this list has said that WMF staff call
Foundation-l "Troll-l". I've never heard anyone refer to it that way.

I think that perception might be leading the most concerned Wikimedians to
leave this list. That would be a bad thing. Please stay!