[Foundation-l] FAQ: Consultant for National Programs, India

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 15 23:42:04 UTC 2011

2011/2/15 MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com>:

> The purpose of the strategy wiki was to create a
> five-year plan. That purpose has been served, so it's now time to move any
> remaining content to Meta-Wiki and move on.

That's a legitimate viewpoint, but not the one that's informing
StrategyWiki's current use by WMF. Our current use is for StrategyWiki
to be a place to develop and document strategic research (which is an
ongoing process that doesn't end with the five-year plan), where we
can easily refer back to and develop some of the accumulated wisdom on
StrategyWiki, and where we can pick up work using some of the
established practices and processes when necessary (launch a new call
for proposals, build new task forces, etc.). In other words,
StrategyWiki has an identity and a purpose that extends past the
strategic planning process. We may be able to ultimately accomplish
all these things by creating spaces within Meta to do them, importing
supporting tools/namespaces, etc., or within some future wonderful
information architecture, but for the time being, StrategyWiki lives.
:-) The FAQ, on the other hand, definitely did not belong there.

I've commented a bit more on the issue of merging wikis in this post,
and the same arguments apply here:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2011-January/063690.html

--
Erik Möller