[Foundation-l] Shorter Url for non-latin languages

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 05:53:56 UTC 2011

Shorteners are one way that a large part of the net is going.

Twitter and other microblogging drives that - a full WMF url won't easily
fit so people probably don't include them in many media where they otherwise
might well do so.

Making it clear these are WMF related, and also hosting them and/or having
rights to manage them,  is important. Handling permalinks and not just
current revisions is important.

wmf.org/* may or may not be a good one, but if not, then other possibilities
that convey the identity of the project can surely be identified if needed.
Not going to suggest any others on the open mailing list, but if the idea is
worth trying, I'm sure we'll find out to whom to send suggestions.

FT2