[Foundation-l] Changes to the identification policies and procedures

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 23:22:20 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

Meh. It is not as though he is bringing up some pet issue in which the timing is
entirely at his discretion. I would imagine the issue is coming forward at this
particular time because of the time-frame chosen someone @ WMF. However mere
animosity to his timing would not have prompted me to respond.

My real, huge, jaw-hitting-the-floor, issue with your response is that you
preferred "the news about an upcoming change trickl[e] out into the community
prior to an official announcement" (gossip) over a posting to foundation-l.  You
just don't get it.

Micheal Snow suggested gossip is just human nature. Ni modo. But there is a huge
difference between stopping it (which I have never suggested doing) and
endorsing it as a more valid channel than foundation-l. That gossip could be
endorsed to any degree by someone that has a staff position in the "Community"
department says a great deal that is not at all positive about the level of
understanding and/or leadership in that department.

Gossip destroys trust. Gossip inhibits transparency.  Gossip excludes those that
are new. Gossip excludes those who socialize differently (in different
languages, tolerate different kinds of humor, at different times, etc.) Gossip
deteriorates the quality/accuracy of information. Gossip reduces the
quantity/detail of information in circulation. Gossip doesn't scale.  Every
single one of these values should be a significant concern of the "Community"
department given the current state of things. [1]

Gossip is inevitable and won't ever be stopped.  But people can personally try
to become gossip black-holes and/or work to shift the substance of the gossip to
the appropriate channel. And WMF staff can certainly encourage the advertising
of issues through more valid (i.e. any other) channels. At the very least, they
should refrain from opposing the use of more valid channels in place of gossip.

Birgitte SB

[1]To be complete I feel I need add in some values where gossip rated
positively. Just to prevent anyone who has  never given the issue much thought
from jumping ahead from what I have said above to Gossip=Evil.

Gossip an organic component of human communities (No installation required).
Gossip is  probably the most grossly inexpensive informational network (If you
few resources or the information is rather binary making quality losses
insignificant).  Gossip very efficient at spreading the information that is more
passionately cared about faster and wider than information that people care less
strongly about (No need to spend time evaluating information for relevancy
before distribution). Gossip is better than  nothing in short-term
considerations. (Temporary communities will rarely find the drawbacks relevant)

Gossip != Evil  Gossip can be very good when a crowded theater catches fire.
Gossip is simply not an informational network that is compatible with the goals
of the Wikimedia movement.