[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 00:34:27 UTC 2010

As mentioned, closure of a language version has its own page "proposal
for closure of [that wiki]" on Meta, so no needs to open an RFC.

If we consider A as a language or a dialect should be treated in a
scientific manner. In general if there is an language either natural
(like English, German ...) or artificial (like esperanto) which is
mainly used for serious needs in real life, like communications and
spreading knowledge, they deserve a wiki in our convention. In that
case, even if its community agrees on closure, it's better to freeze
and wait for a future chance a healthy community can revive that, not
to delete all both content and subdomain unless the content is
supposed to be illegal or the claimed language is a crappy invention
of some individual(s). Wikimedia exists to spread free knowledge,
not to push a certain POV, like redeeming a self-esteem sentiment of a
particular ethnic or national group.

Cheers,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<pbeaudette at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Newyorkbrad wrote:
>
>> And, something I should
>> already know the answer to but just realized I don't, who within the
>> foundation or community makes this type of decisions, anyway?
>

> One of the key points that kept being reiterated in the Strategic
> Planning process was that we have no method for "failing well".  For
> saying - we tried this, and it didn't work  (I'm not saying that's the
> case here, but I'm just using this as an example).  The community
> makes the determination to close a language version, putatively, but
> in practical terms it's proven difficult to do.  Generally it's an RfC
> on Meta.  I think the last major contentious one was the Simple
> English Wikiquote?  Once the decision is made, then it falls to the
> developers to actually flip the switch or say the magic words, or do
> whatever it is they do to close the project.
>
> Philippe

> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> philippe at wikimedia.org
>
> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp