[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Wed May 26 22:27:17 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

It looks like the discussion on the name is dying down, so I'd like to
summarize what I think we've heard here:
1.  There's no clear favorite out there.  In addition to the two ideas we
put forward ("Pending Revisions" and "Double Check"), there's been quite a
bit of discussion around alternatives, for example:  "Revision Review" and
"Pending Edits".
2.  There's are still some that aren't comfortable changing the name away
from "Flagged Protection", but that doesn't appear to be a widely held view.
3.  Some people like "Double Check", but some people dislike it a lot.  The
people who like it seem to be comfortable with the colloquial use of it,
whereas the people that dislike it don't like the lack of precision and the
possible confusion created by the use of the word "double".
4.  "Pending Revisions" seems to be something most people would settle for.
 It's probably not the hands down favorite of too many people, but it
doesn't seem to provoke the same dislike that "Double Check" does.
5.  "Pending Edits" is a simplification of "Pending Revisions" that seems to
have some support, as it replaces the jargony "Revision" with the easier
"Edits"
6.  "Hyperion Frobnosticating Endoswitch" seems to have gathered a cult
following.  Yes, we have a sense of humor.  No, we're not going there.  :-)

A little background as to where we're at.  "Double Check" had an
enthusiastic following at the WMF office, but we're not inclined to push
that one if it's going to be a fight (it's far from the unanimous choice at
WMF anyway).  "Revision Review" seems to be heading a bit too far into
jargon land for our comfort.  "Pending Revisions" is the compromise that
seems to stand up to scrutiny.  A variation such as "Pending Edits" or
"Pending Changes" also seems acceptable to us.

That's where we stand now.  If you haven't spoken up yet, now is the time,
since we're only a couple of days from making a final decision on this.
 Please weigh in here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Flagged_protection_and_patrolled_revisions/Terminology

Thanks
Rob