[Foundation-l] Statement on appropriate educational content

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat May 8 16:45:49 UTC 2010

Disagreed. Those free licensed (or sometimes public domain) content on
Commons, Wikiquote and Wikisource are not only cited on Wikimedia
wikis but on third parties' publifications: from websites to books and
magazines. They  help to spread "a sum of human being knowledge" per
se, not just repositories to other wikimedia wikis.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de> wrote:
> Commons, Wikiquote and Wikisource has by themselves no educational
> value. They gain their educational value in the way that they provide
> repositories for the other WMF projects. Wikisource is the library of
> Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikinews, Wikibooks, Wikiversity and Wikispecies.
> The volumes collected in it should be judged with the same principle as
> the media files in Commons.
>
> Ting
>
> Victor Vasiliev wrote:
>> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Having said that, the Wikimedia projects are intended to be educational
>>> in nature, and there is no place in the projects for material that has
>>> no educational or informational value.
>>>

>> I'd like to point out that we already have a project where most
>> information has no educational value. It's called Wikisource and
>> materials there are primarily of artistic value, not educational or
>> information one. Since I basically support the idea that one of
>> Wikimedia Commons aims is to collect as much notable works of art as
>> possible, I view it as a Wikisource for visual arts and music.
>>
>> Should we expect Wikisource to be cleaned up as well? Does Foundation
>> feel need to host such highly disputed works as [1] or [2]?
>>
>> --vvv
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Lady_Chatterley's_Lover
>> [2] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Fanny_Hill:_Memoirs_of_a_Woman_of_Pleasure

KIZU Naoko