[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Fri May 7 22:50:15 UTC 2010

Ting Chen hett schreven:
> For me, this statement is at the first line a support for Jimmy's
> effort. It is a soft push from the board to the community to move in a
> direction.
Not my definition of a "soft push".

In my opinion it's not the task of board or foundation to push the
community in any direction. It's the other way round, the community
forms board and foundation. The task of board and foundation is to
operate the servers, to develop the software needed to operate our
projects, and to stop members of the community or of the outside world
from doing things harmful to the community, e.g. by violating the law.
But they should not decide on the actual content, that's the task of the
community.

If e.g. USC 2257 requires us to keep records, that would be okay to me.
It would decimate our explicit content, but having content with clear
provenance would be a nice advantage. But at the moment I see no
rational reason like a law or anything like that. Just some vague
"scope" that is inherently undefined and used to cover cleansings on
moral grounds.

We do not need 10,000 close-ups of penises. But we need some penises.
Small, medium, big, from different ethnicities, crooked, shaved and
unshaved, with jewelry, with diseases etc. pp. We will never reach a
state where the number of our penis images is low enough to make
conservative agenda makers happy without leaving medical articles or
articles on sexuality unillustrated (which would lower their
informativeness and thus their educational value).

We had discussions on sexual content before. I proposed to use a
technical solution in which images are tagged with tags that give
detailed information about the form of explicit content present. The
images could then be filtered by anybody who wants them to be filtered.
That can be done on a per-user basis, but also on a per-project basis,
or a per-country basis (based on IP geolocation). So if the people of
the Kerguelen Islands don't want to see boobs and vagoos (or the
government disallows showing them) a filter could be set to remove those
images.

Creating a technical solution like that is the task of the foundation.
The _real_ task of the foundation.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox