[Foundation-l] Participation of intellectual professions

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Sat May 29 07:26:40 UTC 2010

This an interesting topic which ties in very well with others that I
have been discussing in this list. Noein presented part of the
problem. Dr. Goodman, with whom I had the pleasure of exchanging some
comments before, added some more very important information. He
mentions "ignorants" and "fools". I have called them worse, but
that's besides the point. What I find deplorable is the sorry state
of cronyism and complicity so pervasive in several (but fortunately
not all) Wikimedia projects that allows "ignorants" and "fools" to
prevail. The spectacle of seeing someone with qualifications similar
to those of the professors who are giving you so much grief in school
is just too entertaining to pass. So is the spectacle of seeing a
colleague that "cannot tolerate the fools" fail to work
effectively  in a WP environment. I am indeed a bit short on examples
where the community has stand up to the "ignorants" and "fools", in
favor of the inexperienced expert or the well meaning do gooder. I'm
sorry most of you are not enough knowledgeable of the Portuguese
language to ever had been able to interfere in the abuse and travesty
of proper procedure (It's impossible to call that justice. It will be
too offensive to what justice is) that I and others have had to
endure in the Portuguese Wikipedia. At least I never notice your
participation there, but records and written testimonies of the
abusive behavior I mention are abundant.

To make things easy for the friendly intellectuals that usually post
to this list, I'll give two examples for you to play with and have your fun:

1)
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards%27_noticeboard/Archives/2010-04#Please_advise

2)
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Information_desk#Deletion_of_user_page