[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 01:13:52 UTC 2010

Poor Mike. You could blog it on Wikimedia blog, even from now?

Now we have the policy with a detailed FAQ though, still I guess I'll
keep posting some questions - it doesn't mean the policy is poorly
written, but just I'd love to see you around.

/me ducks

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> masti writes:
>
> It's crazy. sv.wiki still has "unfree" logo on every page :)
>> It is "unfree" to protect wiki identity.
>>

> This is exactly right.  If we had no copyright or trademark restrictions on
> the Wikimedia logos and marks, it would be trivial for proprietary vendors
> to use the unrestricted logos in association with unfree content.
>
> My experience has been that those who object to this haven't given adequate
> attention to the GFDL and Creative Commons licenses we operate under --
> neither license is "free," and each imposes restrictions and obligations on
> reusers of content.  What we're doing with the Wikimedia trademarks is
> designed to reinforce this insistence on the freedom of the content we are
> disseminating.
>
> My guess, admittedly based on nothing but anecdotal evidence, is that the
> Swedish Wikipedians who created this largely artificial and unnecessary
> dispute have not consulted independent trademark and copyright experts with
> regard to the rationale for their decision.
>
> Robert Rohde writes:
>
> Personally, I also feel that it sets a bad example for a free content
>> company like WMF not to have any formal policy on the third party use
>> of their logos.  Even within Wikimedia there is no agreement about
>> what is allowed and what isn't, except that Mike and others have
>> generally said they don't object to most uses by the community, even
>> while reserving full copyright control and the right to object in the
>> future.
>>

> I feel as if the many months of work I put into developing a new, clearer,
> liberal trademark policy for WMF has gone to waste!
>

>> It has been three or four years since I first asked members of the WMF
>> to draft a policy on logo use that would be clear about what is
>> allowed both in the community and for reusers.
>

> And now I really, really feel it was wasted!
>
> Given that we don't have clear policies regarding logo use, I think
>> the Swedish Wikipedia decision is entirely defensible.
>

> Darn it! A waste, I say! And I worked so hard to give you
> <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy>.
>

> --Mike

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)