[Foundation-l] 2010-11 Annual Plan Now Posted to Foundation Website

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 16:12:53 UTC 2010

Hoi,
When we raise money, we have a choice; either we spend the money and we
communicate what we plan to do or we build reserves for a rainy day. In the
Netherlands there are several charities that find it much harder to raise
funds for any purpose now that they are known to build huge reserves. This
was made worse when they wanted to raise funds after many of their
investments went sour.

As I understand our finances, we forecast a great need and at the same time
are frugal spending realising the communicated goals. Consequently there is
an operational reserve. The Wikimedia Foundation is not a university and
consequently it does not operate along those lines. Mind you, an American
university is a completely different beast then for instance a Dutch
university and our universities have as respectable reputation while their
funding is not reliant on huge endowments.

In my opinion we are on a mission and we should share this mission as widely
as possible. This is why it is not acceptable that so much of the our
finances rely on USA donations. We need chapters that take part in
everything that makes the WMF possible. This includes fund raising and
operating programs that benefit our projects and free knowledge in general.

When people, organisations want to contribute to an endowment, they should
do so separately from our fund raisers. These are to enable us to do what we
aim to do. This will gain us more contributions then building large
reserves.
Thanks,
      GerardM

PS you is "the reader"