[Foundation-l] encouraging women's participation

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 22:35:38 UTC 2010

I like (and support) most of all the following wording

> ... there's a lot to be said for being
> motivated enough to do it that you learn the systems without any help,
> becoming a part of the community the way most of us did. But just
> relying on those mechanisms does restrict our editor base a lot, and
> saying that only those people willing to jump through many interface
> and social hoops can join the club is just as unhelpful for our
> worldwide community of researchers and writers

>From that point of view we see two thresholds/barriers in front of
each WP-newcomer:
* to master craft of research;
* to master system (with DIY "facepages"/profiles, indents and
signatures in discussion, etc.) - that is interface hoop;
* becoming part of the community (socialization) - social hoop.
oh, actually there are three of them :)

Yes we (all of us) were motivated, even fanatic :) enough to survive
in so Spartan conditions, but should we insist that all newcomers have
to go same way?

Yes, one of favorite proverbs says
"Wind from the North creates Vikings"
but I'm not sure that Wikipedia needs only Vikings :)

Sincerely,

Pavlo