[Foundation-l] English language dominationism is striking again

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 16:21:25 UTC 2010

I'd think he category can be renamed as common names (English)
and similar ones be made for the other languages.  It'd not jut s
matter of redirection--there are many instances where some languages
do, and some do not, have a common name. I think there are also cases
where in one language a common names refers to a group of species, and
in another to an overlapping but not identical group of species.

In English at least, even academic journals aimed at non-taxonomists
(e.g.  PNAS, for an Open Access example)  almost always use common
names in the title and give the  formal latin equivalent somewhere
later in the paper.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 15:45, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 22 June 2010 15:20,  <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> The common name in any language has more stability as far as the lay person is concerned. the lay person shouldn't have to first find the latin name of an organism when looking it up:
>>> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sp%C3%A9cial%3ARecherche&search=Phal%C3%A8ne+de+l%27ans%C3%A9rine
>>

>> Definitely. Category redirects would help here.
>
> I think redirects is the obvious solution. If you can't agree on what
> a category should be called, choose one of the options at random and
> set up redirects for the rest. It really doesn't matter which name the
> category is actually at, as long as users can find the images they
> want by whatever reasonable name they search by.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.