[Foundation-l] encouraging women's participation

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 20:29:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> My jaw just dropped.  While I know these are ideas intended to help increase
> the socialization, this is turning Wikipedia into youtube.  The day that
> happens I'm resigning all my permissions and packing my bags.  Softening
> notability?  Fantasy articles?  Games?  Live comments?  No thanks.

While I would like to see good articles about every episode of
whatever on Wikipedia, this was not the point.

The point is to make "personal space" on Wikimedia projects. Adding
features to the profile (now: Special:Preferences) will increase
number of those who are willing to stay on project.

> I don't think the idea of encouraging women to participate needs these
> things.  I have a fierce dislike for what I consider to be the mind-numbing
> distraction that social networking sites provide.  I'd rather use Wikimedia
> projects to stimulate my mind, not kill time.

You should be able to turn off those features.