[Foundation-l] Pending Changes launched on English Wikipedia

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Wed Jun 16 14:42:29 UTC 2010

On 06/16/2010 05:44 AM, Mike.lifeguard wrote:
> On 37-01--10 03:59 PM, William Pietri wrote:
>
>> >  http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/wikipedia_to_loosen_controls_tonight.php
>>
> Wow, they used the right title! :D
>
> So did the BBC article[1]: "Wikipedia unlocks divisive pages for editing"

Indeed they did. I was pretty pleased as well.

I know some people don't appreciate the value of good press, or are
skeptical of the effort put into communications. But for a top-10 web
site that aims to serve the whole planet, the global press is a major
part of our user interface, especially for casual readers, occasional
editors, and many of our donors. A lot of people who read those news
articles will never see our help or policy pages on this.

Since most people don't get to see the communications people work, I
wanted to publicly say that they were great. They put a lot of thought
and effort into this. At the time, I didn't fully understand why they
were sweating some of the details so much, but now that I see the final
result, I get how critical all that polishing was. Good press like this
is no accident. They are pros, pros who understand Wikipedia and love
what it stands for, and we're lucky to have them.

William