[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trade mark misuse

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 13 18:32:42 UTC 2010

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> I think everyone in this conversation is aware of that. Jiri said they
> were calling it "Wiki" despite it not actually being a wiki, which
> strongly suggests they are trying to associate it with Wikipedia
> (which is very commonly abbreviated to "Wiki" despite our attempts to
> discourage it).

Err! One can download and install the MediaWiki software on a website
without allowing the world, and his dog, cat, and their fleas to edit
the pages. IIRC one gets the option of turning off unregistered user
updates, and autoregistration during the install. It even comes with a
little a "powered by MediaWiki" logo.

OTOH the site whined about has no reference to WMF at all.