[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trade mark misuse

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 16:28:51 UTC 2010

On 13 June 2010 17:22, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Tim Landscheidt <tim at tim-landscheidt.de> wrote:
>> Jiří Hofman <hofmanj at aldebaran.cz> wrote:
>>

>> You are aware of [[en:Wiki]] for a history of wikis and
>> WMF's part in it?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> In other words, the use of "wiki" predates wikipedia (wikipedia gets
> its name since it was a encyclopedia using the wiki system)

I think everyone in this conversation is aware of that. Jiri said they
were calling it "Wiki" despite it not actually being a wiki, which
strongly suggests they are trying to associate it with Wikipedia
(which is very commonly abbreviated to "Wiki" despite our attempts to
discourage it). Whether it goes far enough to be a violation is for
the lawyers to work out - I'm not going to guess (I think it is Czech
law that is relevant, and I don't know anything about it - there is a
lot of consistency between trademark law in EU member states, but I'm
not sure of the details).