[Foundation-l] Are Wikimedia websites a proper venue for an artistic contest ?

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Sat Jun 12 13:21:34 UTC 2010

Apparently the image in question is
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Guy_with_pierced_nipple.jpg>.
The deletion request didn't say "bad composition" but "Low quality,
outside of project scope <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:PS>.
Being listed in a gallery does not grant an automatic "in-scope"
determination." The image is low quality and it wouldn't be a great
loss. But I'd still vote "keep" cause the ways of relevant image use are
inscrutable. Even if the piercing can be hardly seenm the image can
still be used (just some ideas):
* an article about the specific type of necklace
* some article about human mimic
* a wikibook about image composition (as a bad example)

Even bad images can be useful in other contexts. Contexts the original
uploader and the delete voters may not have thought about. There's no
limit in disk space, so no reason to delete images that could be useful
in contexts that may not be imagined at the moment.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox

Marcus Buck hett schreven: