[Foundation-l] Announcement - Public Policy Initiative Team joins WMF

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 19:01:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Daniel Phelps <dphelps at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The Wikimedia Foundation has hired four new staff members to guide the new
> Public Policy Initiative. Annie Lin, LiAnna Davis, Sage Ross, and Amy Roth
> will work with public policy programs at universities across the United
> States to incorporate improvements to Wikipedia articles into the
> professors' curriculum. The Public Policy Initiative will recruit Wikipedia
> volunteers to work with professors and students to identify topics needing
> attention and give professors the tools they need to incorporate Wikipedia
> editing into their classrooms. This pilot project will continue through the
> 2010-11 academic year and is funded by a grant from the Stanton Foundation.
> As the Campus Team Coordinator, Annie Lin will work closely with university
> professors, students, and Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors to facilitate our
> outreach and in-classroom training efforts. Annie has a degree in Sociology
> from the University of California at Berkeley, and brings her teaching and
> team development experiences to her new Public Policy Initiative role.
> LiAnna Davis steps into the Communications Associate role with a background
> in online writing and editing, including experience in university
> communications and nonprofit issue advocacy. LiAnna will be the voice of the
> Public Policy Initiative, responsible for communication with professors and
> the Wikipedia community. She has an undergraduate degree in Communication
> Studies from the University of Puget Sound and a master's degree in
> Communication, Culture and Technology from Georgetown University.
>
> As the former editor in chief of Signpost and a longstanding contributor to
> Wikipedia, Sage Ross joins the team as the Online Facilitator. He has been
> campaigning for academic experts to get more involved with Wikipedia since
> joining, and he has led several Wikipedia assignments for courses at Yale
> University. He is an avid photographer and Wikimedia Commons contributor as
> well. Sage is bringing his extensive knowledge of the platform and community
> to recruit volunteers and facilitate communication between the existing
> editors and stakeholders in the project. He holds a bachelor's degree in
> Chemistry from the University of Oklahoma and master's degrees in History
> and in the History of Science and Medicine from Yale University.
> As the Research Analyst, Amy Roth will take the lead role in evaluating the
> process and outcomes of the project, suggesting areas for improvement along
> the way. Amy's extensive experience in data analysis will enable her to
> ensure the initiative develops best practices through feedback from
> students, professors, and Wikipedia's volunteer community. She received her
> bachelor's degree in Biology and Animal Science from California Polytechnic
> State University and her master's in Public Policy and Administration from
> California State University at Sacramento.
> We welcome Annie, LiAnna, Sage, and Amy to the Wikimedia Foundation and the
> [...]

Welcome times four to Annie, LiAnna, Sage, and Amy to the Public Policy
Initiative. I'm eager to see this initiative  in action with the new staff.
This is a fantastic opportunity for us to recruit new editors into the WMF
community who can provide expertise about Public Policy related content.

Sydney Poore
(FloNight)