[Foundation-l] Community, collaboration, and cognitive biases

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Tue Jun 8 23:42:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:28 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> 7) Further experimentation with tools like IdeaTorrent for large-scale
>> brainstorming and ranking purposes (we have a prototype running at
>> http://prototype.wikimedia.org/en-idea/ideatorrent/ ).
>
> I was super excited to see this go up the other day. Can we move it
> to, say, strategywiki to try out? Any thoughts on scope? Not having
> used this much I don't know if you'd want separate torrents by broad
> topic (ideas for the wikimedia foundation, ideas for mediawiki, ideas
> for the projects, ideas for outreach) or one big one that could be
> sorted by topic.

We originally considered using IdeaTorrent for strategy's Call for
Proposals, then opted for a wiki-based solution. There were two main
obstacles: Our timing (we wanted to get started quickly, and we didn't
have time to hack things in like SUL support, etc.) and lack of
multilingual support. Our system worked fine, but I did experience
some pangs of regret for not having some of IdeaTorrent's
capabilities.

Incidentally, as Erik mentioned in his email, we're developing some
IdeaTorrent-like mechanisms on strategy wiki as a way to encourage
self-organization and activation around good ideas. For a slightly
out-of-date description, see:

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Process/Activating_volunteers

Discussion there is encouraged.

=Eugene