[Foundation-l] Fwd: One-sentence explanation of pending changes

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 19:24:40 UTC 2010

We expect a publicity storm around pending changes. Jay doesn't
currently plan to do a press release as such, but we're definitely
getting ready with talking point sheets and Q+As and a blog post and
etc. For obvious reasons, this is best drafted in public.

Journalists are <s>simple creatures</s> busy generalists. In my
experience they do like to get things right - but if you want them to
get it right, you have to distill things into a *robust soundbite*.
I'm good with soundbites (if I say so myself), but obviously accuracy
is rather important.

This is what I have so far, off the top of my head:

"Some of our pages are locked from *anyone* editing them. With this,
we can open those up so people can  edit the draft version, which then
goes live. Should be on the order of minutes, if it's over an hour
it's too slow. The trial's starting with locked pages about living
people. We'll see how it goes."

Now then. That's soundbitey enough it's hard to mess up. But is it
factually accurate? I must admit I haven't been keeping up with
precisely what this week's consensus is. And how the extension is
functioning in detail and so forth. Corrections please?

[Note: This post is strictly from me as a press volunteer helping WMF
and WMUK and likely victim of a melting phone, rather than any
official role.]

- d.