[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 17:59:21 UTC 2010

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>> And how are you determining that a work is orphaned? What JuJU do you
>> have to declare that a work is free to use commercially?
>>

> Whether a work is orphaned will vary from one work to another.  Do you
> have a specific work in mind? I was just providing a plausible
> circumstance where this might apply.

That's why I asked how you are going to go about reliably ascertaining
that a work is orphaned. Just because a work hasn't be republished over
a period of time is no guarantee that not a reliable guide to it being
orphaned. The creator may not want it to be republished during his or
her lifetime. The creators estate may similarly not want it republished,
or they may not even want it republished in digital form.

> I said nothing about commercial use.

By adding the work to wikisources you are unilaterally adding a license
declaring that it is free to use commercially. Which is regardless of
the actually wishes of the actual copyright owner as you simply do not
know what the copyright owner wants.

> I have no idea what you mean by "JuJU".

I mean what supernatural power are you in possession of that enables you
to strip copyright from work and declare it free to use?