[Foundation-l] Cultural awareness and sensitivity

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Jun 8 01:47:31 UTC 2010

Native Americans used to compare European Americans to spiders.

http://www.native-languages.org/cheyenne-legends.htm

That referred to our quick adaptive nature that was not rooted in
tradition. We seem to be very clever and good at things, but not
committed to anything. I think the problem has probably grown much worse
as the broad spectrum of our activities impacts traditional societies.
Not only is our music different, but there is a hundred kinds of it;
likewise our other cultural artifacts.

I suspect users from many cultures do better in an environment that is
sheltered from the full impact of Western culture.

Fred Bauder