[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 20:21:27 UTC 2010

One major problem I have with this entire initiative, at least as I
understand it, is that data was only collected from en.wp and mostly
from native English speakers. Wikipedia is not monolingual, although
many of our users are... and it's important to remember that many of
these people are monolingual in languages other than English. Without
further study, we have no way of knowing how many of the conclusions
we may have drawn from the data will still hold true for
non-English-speaking audiences.

I had hoped that the internationalism of our organization would grow,
rather than any sort of increasing centralization and the treatment of
en.wp as a "flagship" project, the capital of the Wikimedia empire. It
is not.

-m.