[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 12:12:21 UTC 2010

Andrew Garrett <agarrett at ...> writes:
> I will say to be fair that the best response to what you perceive as a
> poor design choice in somebody else's code is not to revert them and
> say "There, I fixed it for you. Thank me later.", but perhaps to
> discuss it with them first and find a compromise. There's an
> imperative to listen and respond to community feedback, but quietly
> changing somebody else's code against their explicit wishes is not a
> good way to make your point.

This is true. In that sense, I do feel that the revert itself was justified for
the exact reasons you state, but that the message sent by the revert summary was
harsh and authoritarian, as I said. Reverting that change with a gentler and
more helpful summary, or even just leaving it in for some time while a
compromise is being worked on (the latter should not be done as a rule, of
course, to discourage the point-making by disruption you speak of), would've
been a better course of action.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)