[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon Jun 7 10:05:10 UTC 2010

On 7 June 2010 08:42, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> Given the availability of translations that are just a click away, not
> even a native English speaker has to fear that clicking on an interwiki
> link will produce an unintelligible page. There could even be value to a
> double list which gives the option of viewing the other language article
> in its original form or in its machine translation.

There is a piece of user js which was implemented on en which does
this, incidentally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Manishearth/Scripts#Wikipedia_interwiki_translator

- it turns, eg, "Espanol" into "Spanish (t)", with the (t) link going
to a Google translate link for the target page.

I haven't used it much, but it's a useful tool to have.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk