[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 18:10:29 UTC 2010

Regarding clutter and ease of finding the right language I believe it helps
a lot if the user realizes that the languages are listed in their native
form and are mostly in alphabetic order.
What often causes difficulty for me is the fact that the languages are often
in some strange order (e.g. ordered by their country code instead of the
displayed text, cf. Bahasa Indonesia, which makes it harder to spot with a
glance whether the article exists on my home wiki or not ).

I would welcome the UX team's opinion on how to improve on the ordering and
consistency of the links (e.g. where to put languages in different scripts
in the order; would it be helpful if the user's suspected native tongue was
offered more prominently by bolding it or putting it to the beginning of the
list) without necessarily hiding the links.
Could we use the technology used to guess the putative native tongue of our
readers to offer them a chance to start the article in their native WP -
possibly through Google Translator Toolkit, without sacrificing general
usability and annoying our casual readers?

Best regards,
Bence Damokos