[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 14:26:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 13:19, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thank you for your summary, Guillaume. I would like to add to this a
> question based on Jon's insightful email:
>
> the research you did on clicks etc, was apparently only on the English
> Wikipedia. Would it be an option to first do more research on how the links
> are used on the other projects? Out of the >700 projects to choose from,
> you
> unfortunately picked one where the clicking is most likely to be very
> different from all the other projects. Usually that is not a good basis to
> build decisions for all 700 projects on. Besides that, it seems you
> measured
> logged in users (since you mention comparing monobook vs vector, it seems
> that you measured people who switched before the Big Switch?) Perhaps you
> want to actually do research on how anonymous users work.
>
> There's a few other things that would be interesting:
* comparing with country as well (to account for # languages people likely
know, wether they're likely to be browsing their own language wikipedia)
* effect of a long list of interwiki (altho you'd need to correct for wether
there's likely a language they know well/better then the version they're
currently reading) - I wonder if a long list makes it less likely for people
to click on something
* size of the article - do long articles interwikilinks get used less or
not?

henna