[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Jon Harald Søby jhsoby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 11:39:30 UTC 2010

2010/6/4 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>

> Hoi,
> It works indeed best for logged in users. However the statistics show that
> the main public for particular languages is not where you expect them to
> be.
>

> It is good to be generous in the number of languages that we show in my
> opinion.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

Someone said earlier in the thread that the reason the links were hidden in
the first place was that they weren't clicked on often in usability studies.
But weren't the studies conducted on American people to see how they would
edit the English Wikipedia? When you are monolingual and are already on your
native language Wikipedia there isn't really a lot of use in going to
another language. For multilingual people, though, that is not true at all.
So assuming that I understood the reason behind it correctly, it isn't
really a valid reason to hide them at all.

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by