[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 01:50:50 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any "see other languages" link should take into account the nature of
> the article; an article on a Japanese topic should display the
> Japanese wp link (if any) .  This would not be impossible to do
> programmatically.

While that is "impossible" (read: hard), a simple approximation is to
display languages links for the 10 "largest" corresponding articles in
other languages, and then show a "more.." when there are more than 10.

Another option is for contributors to specify which other interwiki
links should be always visible; e.g. we would always want the FA's in
other languages to be shown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Link_FA

--
John Vandenberg