[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

Yann Forget yannfo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 16:55:40 UTC 2010

2010/6/3 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 3 June 2010 16:14, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you can link in your notifications to a handy guide to contesting a
>> DMCA takedown notice, that would probably answer the concerns in this
>> thread. It's clear that people weren't sure if they could re-add
>> things at all, ever, after a takedown notice, without express WMF
>> permission. It's clear to you, but not to the non-lawyers who
>> nevertheless know what a bogus claim copyright is. (And I know the WMF
>> isn't their lawyer, but I'm sure high-quality guides to contesting
>> takedown notices exist.)
>
> I understand it's possible WMF could be liable even for *alluding* to
> how to deal with these things in the notice. Because the DMCA is that
> messed up.
>
> So: the community needs to:
>
> 1. Put a suitable guide to dealing with DMCA takedown notices on meta.
> (Festoon with disclaimers.)
> 2. Link it from each occasion the community is notified of a takedown
> notice having been received.
>
> This will expressly not carry the Foundation's imprimatur in any way
> but it will help the present problem.
> Does that sound like it would deal with the problems? Yann?

Yes, a detailed guide on how to deal with a take-down notice would greatly help.
If possible, it should include the issues raised by Ray: under which
jurisdiction, who can send a counter-notice, etc.
Ray also wrote that the take-down notice needs to be public, which it
was not in this case.

> - d.

Regards,

Yann