[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 22:04:40 UTC 2010

Gerard writes:

Hoi,
> When I read:  "Wikisource content in the French language targets the French
> public, and therefore, under French conflict of laws principles, the
> copyright law of France applies to this content." I do read the French
> public. Wikisource does not target the French public per se.

I agree with you about this. Unfortunately, that turns out to be an
inadequate argument when it comes to justifying noncompliance with a
takedown notice.

We consulted with French counsel on the question of compliance, and neither
they nor we believed there was a strong probability that French court would
invalidate the takedown notice on the grounds that Wikisource does not
target the French public in particular.

--Mike