[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 20:25:57 UTC 2010

I would like to know as follows
* the data mentioned
* differences between language groups: does every  language group use
interlanguage links rarely or some of them use it often? For instance,
in a small wikis?
* Is there any way to choose if those hiding-by-default boxes are
visible by user preferences?

Honestly I am surprised this change which wasn't so during the beta
test, and personally as an multilingual, slightly annoyed by an
increased number of clicks,
I know it makes a sense to weigh the majority's preferences, but if
there is no other options, it reduces usability for me as individual.

Cheers,

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:10 AM, Amir E. Aharoni
<amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> 2010/6/2 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
>> <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > For part 1, see [1].
>> >
>> > In his reply to User experience feedback [2], Howief says: "the language
>> > links were used relatively infrequently based on tracking data".
>> >
>> > Is there any data about their usage since the switch to Vector?
>>
>> They were equally valuable as a marketing statement about the breadth
>> and inclusiveness of our project as they were as a navigational tool.
>>
>> Concealing them behind the languages box also significantly reduces
>> discoverability for the people who need it most: Someone who, through
>> following links, ends up on a wikipedia which is not in their primary
>> language. Before they needed to scroll down past a wall of difficult
>> to read foreign language, now they need to do that and expand some
>> foreign language box.
>>
>> In my opinion, the world is not best served by hyper-optimizing for
>> the most frequent and shallow interests of the largest majorities.
>
> That's exactly my opinion, too. I am trying to back it with data.
>
> --
> אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> Amir Elisha Aharoni
>
> http://aharoni.wordpress.com