[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

Eugene Zelenko eugene.zelenko at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 13:54:39 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:43 AM, Yann Forget <yannfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a few days before these texts were deleted, I asked Cary what was
> the official opinion of Wikimedia Foundation about texts which are in
> the public domain in USA, but not in France. I was told that "the
> community is entitled to decide by itself".
>
> Comments?
>
> Regards,
>
> Yann

I think it's reasonable to account country of origin copyrights laws
too as Commons does, especially with Wikisource editions other then
English, where majority of text most likely originated outside of USA.
And majority of audience also likely to be outside of USA.

Some even tend to interpret USA public domain that everything
published before 1923 (regardless of fact of publication in USA or
not) is public domain in USA.

Eugene.