[Foundation-l] Big problem to solve: good WYSIWYG on WMF wikis

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:15:38 UTC 2010

On 29 December 2010 05:13, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> You inexplicably posted this to foundation-l, so let's look at this from an
> organizational/political standpoint.

I deliberately posted it there because what I'm asking for is broad
and difficult organisational commitment. And almost didn't post it to
wikitech-l, fearing that doing the latter would result in what it did,
i.e, more of the same from the past five years, where the necessity is
buried under more off-the-cuff ideas that won't get it through.

And a pointer here from internal-l and wikien-l.

Sorry, was it not entirely clear that was what I was doing? It is. My
dream is that more than me will consider this worth the serious
pushing it will take.

> I think this is an important problem that deserves thoughtful consideration
> and attention. Which of course begs the question of why you think Wikimedia
> will be the one to solve it. This is the prime target for a competitor
> coming in and making something better. Why stand in the way?

Unfortunately, Wikia seems to treat its codebase with nearly the
hygiene WMF does at times, so using their work would be comparable
effort to reimplementing it ...

- d.