[Foundation-l] Banners coming down for most logged in users

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Dec 21 23:43:17 UTC 2010

Mike Dupont wrote:
> Can I make a humble suggestion about the banners, and some other things.
> on my slow computer, the banner takes a while to load, and when i click on
> the page the click lands on the banner.
> I dont mind looking at the banner, but I do mind that i click on it all the
> time by accident,
> maybe a simple trick to allocate space for it with some html and then load
> the image later. that would at least help people on slow computers and slow
> connections.
>
> Another optimization would be to be able to display only a section of a
> large page, like edit section, with preview, but display section.
> It would be nice to only load the headers of the page sections and the load
> the rest with ajax, that would speed up the page loads greatly.
>
> It would be also nice on commons to be able to find pages by filename or
> text, the search does not seem to find things properly.
> just some ideas that have occured to me. We are also looking for some prize
> money for the photo competition if anyone wants to donate some.

These are interesting suggestions, but are only tangential to the thread
topic at best. If you have ideas for improving CentralNotice, you want
wikitech-l[1] or Bugzilla.[2] Those are the venues where developers are
paying (more) attention and there's a much higher likelihood of your ideas
being acted on (or at least discussed and considered).

MZMcBride