[Foundation-l] Wikipedia articles based on Wikileaks material

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Dec 12 19:36:19 UTC 2010

> I've seen editors -- editors which I respect -- argue for example that if
> the terrorists beheading Iraqi hostages released Commons-licensed videos
> of
> their beheadings, these would be suitable additions to Commons and the
> biographies of the people concerned, per NOTCENSORED.
>
> You might not see an NPOV violation in such an editorial decision, but I
> do
> (bearing in mind that UNDUE is part of NPOV, and dueness is established
> by weight in reliable sources).
>
> Why we should be doing things that no other reliably published source out
> there does is beyond me.
>
> Andreas

The problem is to make sound judgments with respect to what is to be
censored based on some semblance of rationality. A preliminary
consideration is whether there is actual information involved.

A beheading is best left to the imagination... But most of the beheading
of Daniel Perl was shown on network television, only the actual cutting
and bleeding was left out.

Fred

User:Fred Bauder