[Foundation-l] 2010 Wikimedia Study of Controversial Content

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 12:39:04 UTC 2010

> People don't read they react.

Here is a real-life example. I asked a German mate of mine why he had
opposed the policy, with the following oppose rationale:

"Oppose No need to go beyond existing legal obligations, just follow the
laws that apply." (Oppose 114)

When I asked him in which way he thought the policy went beyond obscenity
and privacy law, his reply was that he hadn't bothered to read it:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Benutzer_Diskussion:Fossa&action=historysubmit&diff=82528083&oldid=82526835

"I have no idea what's in the policy, but the most liberal policy
feasible is a policy that adheres to the laws that apply. If, say, the
servers are located in Guinea, they should adhere to Guniean law, if they
are located in Tulsa, US/Oklahoma law applies. No need for redundancies
here."

What the policy tried to do was make editors aware of existing laws, incl.
privacy, because at the moment, if you nominate a blow-job or similar
picture imported a few weeks ago from a "no longer active" Flickr account,
it is as likely as not that three people will turn up for the deletion
discussion.

One says, "You can't see all of her face." Another says, "It's in use in
a project, so we can't delete it". Another says the nominator is a prude,
and a fourth says, "It has educational value."

As Scott said, it's a chat-show phone-in.

Andreas