[Foundation-l] Downtime error message turned into monolingual

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 03:45:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Peter Coombe
<thewub.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 10 December 2010 00:47, Peter Coombe <thewub.wiki at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I believe you're referring to this error message:
>>> <http://ja.wikipedia.org/w/&>.
>>>
>>> I remember it being multi-lingual as well. It was also enormous. I'm not
>>> sure when or why it was shortened (though my suspicion is that it was
>>> shortened because it was enormous). The planning for the message appears to
>>> have taken place here:
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Multilingual_error_messages
>>>

>> Are you sure you're not thinking of this message?
>> http://www.doxaliber.it/wp-uploads/images/wikipedia_down_big.jpg
>>
>> I think you still get that one if there's a server problem, but short
>> of getting a plane to Florida and randomly flicking switches I can't
>> confirm that! Obviously it's good because its multilingual, but also
>> because it has a donate link.

Good point!

>> The 404 error you linked to (http://ja.wikipedia.org/w/&amp) could
>> certainly be improved, though as far as I know it's always been like
>> that. Absurd really, how many users who've mistyped an address are
>> going to want a database dump?
>>
>> Pete / the wub
>>

> Ah disregard the first part of my message. Gmail wasn't including the
> semicolon as part of your link. I copy pasted it to get the right one.

And thank you for noticing me/us it's somehow weird. Without the
entity "&amp" it works - so we might find two things to fix. I'll
later file the bug on the entity related thing, it seems a pure
technical thing and need to dig up further here.

> Yes, I definitely remember that being multilingual as well, wonder
> what happened to it?
>
> My comment about the 404 message being poor still stands though.
>
> Pete / the wub

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp