[Foundation-l] excluding Wikipedia clones from searching

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 9 10:51:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2010, at 6:21 PM, Mike Dupont wrote:
>
>> Sounds like we need to have a notable search engine that includes only
>> "approved and allowed" sources, that would be nice to have.
>
> Sounds like a great community project, Wiki Search!

yes it would be great. As i said, it could just include all pages
listed as REF pages and that would allow people to review the results
and find pages that should not belong.

We also need to cache all these pages, best would be with a revision
history. It should be similar to or using archive.org.

The searching could also use lucene or some other project. It does not
have to be google.

On this note, I would really like to see a wordindex for openstreetmap
as well, there is a huge amount of information that could be relevant
in osm that should be easier to use in WP.

mike