[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Executive Director?

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Dec 9 01:42:18 UTC 2010

Hi.

The new banners and landing pages with Sue Gardner are using the phrase
"Wikipedia Executive Director"; for example:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?oldid=53090

I'm not a big fan of the smaller projects. On more than one occasion I've
called for disbanding some of them. However, Wikimedia is made up of more
than just Wikipedia. It is a spit in the face to editors of non-Wikipedias
to put these banners on the top of any Wikimedia project (I saw this banner
on mediawiki.org). It is the Wikimedia Foundation, not the Wikipedia
Foundation.

Calling Sue Gardner the "Wikipedia Executive Director" is simply wrong
(factually and morally) and doing so is entirely unacceptable. Wikimedia
ought to hold itself above lying to readers in order to solicit donations.
These banners and landing pages are a violation of what Wikimedians strive
to spread and strive to be and they should be changed immediately.

MZMcBride