[Foundation-l] 10 Years of Wikipedia: What's That Mean to You?

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Tue Dec 14 19:00:46 UTC 2010

What has been written about 10 years of Wikipedia
brought to my mind thoughts of victory disease
(1), groupthink (2), hubris (3), narcissism (4),
communal reinforcement (5), consensus reality
(6), confirmation bias (7) or, more
appropriately, Wikiality (8) as well as nemesis
(9), Watergate (10), and WikiLeaks (11), not necessarily in this order.

Happy Birthday. Enjoy the celebrations of 10 years of Wikipedia.

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_disease
(2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink
(3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubris
(4) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism
(5) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communal_reinforcement
(6) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_reality
(7) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
(8) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_in_culture#Wikiality
(9) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_%28mythology%29
(10) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal
(11) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiLeaks

Prof. Virgilio A. P. Machado            vam at fct.unl.pt
Engenharia
Industrial
http://web.archive.org/web/20070824105539/www.ipei.pt/GDEI/
DEMI/FCT/UNL                    Fax:   351-21-294-8546 or 21-294-8531
Universidade de Portugal                or 351-21-295-4461
2829-516 Caparica                       Tel.:  351-21-294-8542 or 21-294-8567
PORTUGAL                                or 351-21-294-8300 or 21 294-8500
                                         Ext.112-32
96-577-3726
Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia/UNL (FCT/UNL)

(Dr. Machado is Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering at the
School of Sciences and Engineering/UNL of the University of Portugal)