[Foundation-l] Pedophilia and the Non discrimination policy

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 00:28:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the risk that we run when we begin banning editors because we
> dislike beliefs and behaviors unrelated to their participation in the
> wikis.  We might avoid some negative attention that would accompany
> their involvement, but what sort of project are we left with?
> Certainly not the sort that I signed up for (and not one that will
> engender positive publicity as the open community that it's purported
> to be).

We have one single class of editors who, as a class, for
non-wiki-behavioral reasons, we ban.  This class' participation is
problematic both for our other users safety and for Wikipedia's
reputation and integrity of content.

There is no slippery slope.  Nobody has seriously proposed expanding
the list in any way.  Nobody is in favor of banning Communists,
Republicans, Gays, or Moslems.  There is no question that other groups
do not pose a risk, as a group, to our other users' safety or our
reputation or integrity of content.

Pedophiles have a near unity risk of reoffending.  Even the ones who
say they have never abused anyone and never intend to, according to
surveys and psychologists, essentially always do.

There is a reason they are, after conviction (in the US) not allowed
anywhere near children in organized settings.

Wikipedia is a large organized setting, with children present as
editors.  We owe them a duty to not let known pedophiles near them.
We can't guarantee that unknown ones aren't out there - but if we do
become aware, we must act.

We also, to continue to be taken seriously by society at large, not
allow ourselves to be a venue for their participation.  Being known as
pedophile-friendly leads to societal and press condemnation and
governmental action, all of which would wreck the project.

I understand that some do not agree.  But the reasons for this policy
are well founded.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com